501. Mexican Proverb: Money is a good servant but an evil master.
500. Malachy McCourt: Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die.
499. Goeff Gorsuch: The question to ask at the end of life's race is not so much "What have I accomplished?" but "Whom have I loved, and how courageously?"
498. John Scott: Only if we serve, will we experience freedom. Only if we lose ourselves in loving, will we find ourselves. Only if we die to our own self-centeredness, will we begin to live.
497. Ralph Marston: Focus the intensity of your thoughts on the results you truly desire, and your thoughts will lead you steadily there.
496. When every thought is pointed in the same direction, your life will unquestionably go in that direction. On their own, your thoughts have no power, yet every action you take is directed by thought. When your thoughts are disciplined and focused, your actions will be also. The power of thought is in what that thought causes to happen.
495. Children need more models than critics.
494. Norman MacEwan: We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.
493. Og Mandino: Realize that true happiness lies within you. Waste no time and effort searching for peace and contentment and joy in the world outside. Remember that there is no happiness in having or in getting, but only in giving. Reach out. Share. Smile. Hug. Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
492. Brian Tracy: The more you work, study and develop your ability to contribute more to the lives and well-being of others, the better life you will have in all areas.
491. Samuel Smiles: The duty of helping one's self in the highest sense involves the helping of one's neighbors.
MOTIVATION x 3
490. Motivating and inspiring those around you can be summed up with John Maxwell's BEST acronym:- Believe in them, Encourage them, Share with them, Trust them.
489. Theodore Roosevelt: The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done and self restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it.
488. Motivation is getting people to perform at their highest level or to be their very best. It sees people not as they are, but as they can be. Are those around you better because of your leadership? That's the ministry of motivation.
THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS OF BEING VISIONLESS x 7
487. SEVEN - THE LAW OF PRINCIPLES - Rather than being based on values, the group becomes dominated by principles - relying on structures and programs. This will inevitably lead to dull repetition.
486. SIX - THE LAW OF POOR COMMUNICATION - If a leader is not communicating vision, what is he communicating? In what is he inviting his people to participate?
485. FIVE - THE LAW OF CONTROL - If a leader is not providing vision, people become restless and, therefore, need to be controlled.
484. FOUR - THE LAW OF SHALLOWNESS - Those who share no common vision share no covenant relationship. This leads to lack of intimacy and transparency ... and people are unwilling to risk.
483. THREE - THE LAW OF IN-FIGHTING - Instead of using their energy to fight the enemy, people fight each other.
482. TWO - THE LAW OF SUPERFICIALITY - Nobody takes you seriously if you're vague about the future. Before long the trouble-makers outnumber the trouble-solvers.
481. ONE - THE LAW OF DEGENERATION - If you're not going forward, you're going backward. If you spend too much time in the same place ... you languish.
480. Chinese Proverb: He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition burns a picture to obtain the ashes.
479. R.W. Dale: Christ came not so much to preach the gospel, but to be the reason that we have a gospel to preach.
478. John D. Rockefeller: A friendship founded on business is better than a business founded on friendship.
477. Abraham Lincoln: America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
476. Edith Wharton: There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
475. Know this: wherever God guides, He provides. And where God calls, He appoints and anoints to do the work.
474. Maurice Freehill: Never be afraid of the light of God's direction. Who is more foolish, a child afraid of the dark or the man afraid of the light?
473. R.W. Schambach: Be called and sent, not up and went. We are a people with a purpose, not a problem.
472. The pain of discipline is temporary, the pain of regret is permanent.
471. Direction is the mother of divine discomfort. We should have a certain divine discomfort at all times. A sensing that God is always wanting to direct us every day. A stirring in our hearts so that we are never quite satisfied spiritually with where we are in God or what we're doing for Him.
470. John Mason: One characteristic of direction from God is that it will always be humanly impossible to follow and fulfill alone without Him.
469. Mother Theresa: Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
TRUTH x 3
468. John Huss: Seek the truth, listen to the truth, teach the truth, love the truth, abide by the truth and defend the truth unto death.
467. Georges Baraque: Truth exists; only falsehood has to be invented.
466. Joseph Joubert: Truth consists of having the same idea about something that God has.
465. There will always be resistance to change - even change that is for the better. Change agents must have the courage to withstand criticism to pursue their dreams. Don't ever let anyone steal your dream.
464. When difficulties come your way, be thankful. They put you in a position to grow and to become stronger. It's easy to be thankful for the good things in your life, but have you also thought to be thankful for the challenges and setbacks? Consider what a positive difference this new choice of attitude can make.
463. (Nobody likes arrogance). Muhammad Ali had just won another boxing title. On the airplane the stewardess politely said to him, "You need to fasten your seat belt." Ali replied, "Superman doesn't need a seat belt." To which the stewardess politely responded, "And Superman doesn't need an airplane either; please fasten your seat belt."
462. Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Genuine authority realizes that it can exist only in the service of Him who alone has authority. The Church does not need brilliant personalities but faithful servants of Jesus and the brethren.
461. James D. Denney - Secrets to a Lifetime of Success: The way to success is usually a ladder, not an elevator.
460. George Macdonald: No indulgence of passion destroys the spiritual nature so much as respectable selfishness.
459. To be a leader we need to ask ourselves often, "Am I building people or am I building my own dreams and using people?" For the Christian leader, people must come first. People aren't the means to an end; they are the end!
PRIDE x 3
458. It has been said that pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick but the one who has it!
457. D.L. Moody: God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves.
456. Prov 16:18 (The Message): First pride, then the crash. The bigger the ego the harder the fall.
455. Leighton Ford: True leadership means to receive power from God and to use it under God's rule to serve people in God's way.
454. C. M. Ward: The highest level of maturity is duty. When I do my duty, obey God, and do what is right, I always stand back afterwards and feel a great sense of accomplishment and fulfillment.
453. Don't reach 65 regretting not preparing for your family's future earlier, that you did not read more empowering books, that you did not listen to more uplifting tape programs, that you did not attend more life changing seminars. You should have committed to CANI (Constant And Never-ending Improvement).
452. For a ship sailing across the ocean, a tiny adjustment in direction at the beginning of the voyage can affect the ultimate destination by hundreds or thousands of miles. Make a positive adjustment to your life today, and you'll be making a big positive difference in the reality of your future.
451. If you don't forgive your enemies, you're going to run out of friends.
450. No matter how ambitious the goal may be, take that small first step toward it. It's the little efforts, repeated over and over again, that bring the big results. Small steps are the pathway to big achievements.
449. It takes more than imagination to make things happen. It takes effort, focus, commitment, time and patience. Yet imagination will get the process started.
448. Sir John Lubbock: Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time.
447. Most things that seem impossible are not really impossible. They are simply possibilities which we have not yet developed enough imagination to fully express. Think of something you consider to be impossible for you. Now, imagine that it is possible. Can you see it in your mind? When you can, you're on your way toward making the impossible possible.
446. Malcolm Forbes: When looking back, usually I'm more sorry for the things I didn't do than for the things I shouldn't have done.
445. Quiet confidence does not boast and is not arrogant. It pays no attention to those who ridicule it simply because of their own insecurities. Quiet confidence does what is right, no matter what others may think. Quiet confidence is real, persistent confidence that makes a positive difference every day.
444. Vision equals direction, fulfilment and achievement - this is a spiritual law.
443. Vision is given to the leader, not to a committee. A camel is a horse put together by a committee. God always singles out the leader...Moses (not Aaron), David (not Jonathan), Paul (not Barnabas). The leader (with his team) should make the final decision. Voting should be avoided. Pray...and come to one mind. The leader is not there to please the majority, but to obey God.
442. Brian Tracy: Act as if you were already the person you want most to be.
441. Dale Carnegie: You have it easily in your power to increase the sum total of this world's happiness now. How? By giving a few words of sincere appreciation to someone who is lonely or discouraged. Perhaps you will forget tomorrow the kind words you say today, but the recipient may cherish them over a lifetime.
440. Jim Rohn: When you know what you want, and you want it bad enough, you will find a way to get it.
LEADERSHIP x 33
439. Raising up new leaders is one of the most vital tasks for any organization that wants to thrive in today's competitive world.
438. A man who has to be convinced to act before he acts, is not a man of action. Being a person of action is someone willing to take calculated, reasonable risks.
437. Jesus long term success was His wise choosing His disciples. Eleven out of twelve of them proved to be world changers. Are you choosing your closest associates wisely and then pouring yourself into them?
436. "Be a teacher, be a success." Great leaders don't hide in ivory towers plotting strategy, they find ways to teach...to instill in those around them their ideas and their values. This is the approach Jesus modeled for us. He was often called rabbi, which simply means teacher. My question for you is: "How effectively are you filling the role of teacher?"
435. Kenneth Blanchard: The key to successful leadership today is influence, not authority.
434. People with leadership potential always seem to exercise a great deal of influence in other people's lives. If you want to be a "star at work," be a person that positively influences others.
433. When you examine the qualities of the people chosen most frequently for promotion and leadership, you discover that the vast majority are people who generate lots of new ideas - fresh ways of looking at a situation.
432. John Maxwell: Attitude is the eye of your soul. If your attitude is negative, then you see things negatively. If it's positive, then you see things positively. Your attitude is either your greatest asset or your greatest liability. Every Christian should have a can-do attitude, because Jesus taught, "All things are possible to them that believe."
431. Real leadership has less to do with "position" than it does with "disposition." Whiners and complainers are negative and mostly have a downcast disposition. Winners on the other hand are very positive as seen in their confident disposition.
430. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. Belief coupled with enthusiasm is a winning attitude, which determines altitude. Wise leaders look for those with a great attitude for promotion.
429. Could you sign off your correspondence like general J.E.B. Stuart always did to General Robert E Lee, "Yours to count on." The quality of commitment is one of the most important attributes you must cultivate if you want to experience success and promotion.
428. Performing beyond expectations is only possible if you possess the quality called "commitment." Essentially there are two actions in life - performance and excuses. Some people run with a new assignment, while others run from it. Commitment is the quality that separates the two.
427. Napoleon Hill: The moment you commit and quit holding back, all sorts of unforeseen incidents, meetings, and material assistance will rise up to help you. The simple act of commitment is a powerful magnet for help.